Are you ready for some more NHL player movement? Roster logjams, surprisingly slow start and unresolved free agency are conspiring to create a climate for change.
Unsigned restricted free agent Kyle Turris is through in Phoenix. He must sign a NHL deal by Dec. 1 to play in the league this season. He appears unlikely to draw an offer sheet for another team, so he is hoping the Coyotes move his rights to another team.
The talent-starved Flames might be willing to bet on his upside, so the Calgary Sun offered possible trade proposals:
- 2012 1st-round pick, conditional mid-round selection
- Goaltender Joni Ortio and a 2013 2nd-round pick.
- Winger Rene Bourque and a 2012 4th-round pick.
- Defenseman T.J. Brodie, winger Patrick Holland and a 3rd-round pick.
- Brodie, winger Greg Nemisz and a 4th-round pick.
- Bourque, Brodie for Turris and winger Boyd Gordon.
The Oilers are another team potentially willing to move a young and skilled forward. That team has everybody under contract but not enough ice time to keep everybody happy. As a result, dazzling youngster Linus Omark has been relegated to the AHL . . . for now. Other GMs appear to be targeting Sam Gagner as a trade target. Edmonton is seeking defensive help.
Elsewhere in the NHL:
- Add the Lightning to the list of teams seeking defensive help. Toronto and Carolina are two of the teams possibly willing to move a spare defenseman.
- The Kings are really unhappy with winger Dustin Penner and more than willing to consider offers for the big guy.
- The Penguins are getting closer to full strength up front, which means they may not have a spot for Mark Letestu. Operators are standing by.
- The sputtering Islanders have three goaltenders. Since Rick DiPietro has a lifetime contract and Al Montoya has limited trade value, we assume Evgeni Nabokov has been marked for resale.
- The Red Wings are in the midst of a six-game winless streak. Fans are restless. Might the team make a shake-up trade?
- At least one writer believes the Flames should move Jarome Iginla and Miikka Kiprusoff and start over. Yikes!